Sep 19, 2010

The Madness of King George III

Thanks to the Netflix Gods above!. Last night I discovered that the infamous Helen Mirren, (my favorite Queen Elizabeth) also played Queen Charlotte in The Madness of King George. Ugh.. she was magnificent and the film was created beautifully.

Other than the American Revolution, I'm not too familiar with that period from the English perspective, but this movie has encouraged me to begin my venture into it! The costumes were out of this world and the believability was immaculate!



The thing I was paying extra attention to in the Madness of King George, is how the director told the story. I caught myself saying in the middle of the film, "God, that was done perfectly"..

My favorite type of cinematography are those who choose images rather than words; I feel talking too much is absolutely the wrong thing to do sometimes, especially during a period piece like Madness of King George. I feel that historical facts sometimes ruin the process of telling a well known story.





One thing I personally struggle with at work and also during the process of developing Withering Rose is how to creatively turn words into imagery.

Film is cinema, moving images, yet there are countless boring films that spend more time talking about faith or moral challenges than they do showing it. This is art people!